Sunday, February 22, 2009

Vegetarian Gumbo


With Mardi Gras on my mind, I was craving gumbo... but I don't eat seafood, and I've made a chicken and andouille gumbo, so I decided to go vegetarian. I added an element that is southern, but not normally in gumbo - sweet potato! It makes the dish a little more hearty, which could get lost with the lack of meat. This was absolutely delicious, spicy and hearty.

Vegetarian Gumbo

1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 large sweet potato, diced (I leave the skin on)
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 yellow onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
Salt and pepper
2 tbsp. flour
1 c. beer
1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
2 tsp. hot sauce
1 tsp. gumbo file seasoning (which is ground sassafras leaves)
1 tsp. smoked paprika
2 c. frozen okra
Sour cream, for garnish (optional)
Prepared brown rice

Heat a dutch oven over medium heat.
Add olive oil, sweet potato, pepper, onion and garlic.
Season with salt and pepper, sauté for 5 minutes.
Sprinkle in flour and stir to coat.
Cook for 2 more minutes, turn to high and add beer.
Allow alcohol to cook off, turn to low add tomatoes, hot sauce, and seasoning.
Stir to combine, cover and simmer for an hour.
Add okra, stir to combine, bring back to a simmer.
Serve over brown rice.
Top with sour cream.

A Year Ago:

4 comments:

jimpurdy1943@yahoo.com said...

Sweet potato? I never would have thought of that. Sounds good.

What's Cookin Chicago said...

I love how colorful and hearty this is!

Joanne said...

Honestly, I could (and do!) add sweet potato to anything and be happy. It just makes everything better.

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog. That looks wonderful! I LOVE sweet potato!