Friday, February 27, 2009

Butternut Squash and Lentil Soup


For dinner tonight, I made a recipe that my sister emailed to me and thought I might like. I saved it for a dinner when JJ wouldn't be home because he's not a big fan of garam masala and vegetarian meals. It was very good! Thanks, Kris!

Butternut Squash and Lentil Soup
Modified from Better Homes and Gardens

1 c. dried lentils
2 1/2 c. butternut squash cubes
1 chopped onion
2 sliced carrots
2 minced garlic cloves
1 teaspoon garam masala
4 c. low sodium vegetable broth (I used chicken stock)
Salt and Pepper

Rinse and drain lentils.
Place lentils, squash, onion, carrot and garlic in a slow cooker.
Sprinkle garam masala over vegetables.
Pour broth over all.
Cover and cook on low heat setting for 8 to 9 hours or on high heat setting for 4 to 4 1/2 hours. Adjust seasoning.
Ladle into bowls.
Top with sour cream, garnish with chopped cilantro.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

That looks yummy and very hearty. I love all the soups you've been making lately.

Jesse said...

Wow that looks good. Thanks for the recipe! Love your blog :)

Chic Ink Designs said...

Oh this look delicious. I was inspired to make lentils last night for the very first time, hadn't realized how easy they were to make.

Quick question for you, is there another alternative to cooking this recipe that does not involve a slow cooker? Thx