Saturday, February 7, 2009

Honey Pecan Shortbread



When I was choosing the items to put in the Valentine's packages, I kept coming up with chocolate things... it makes sense, chocolate at Valentine's Day, but I wanted some variety. I thought about doing something with honey, and thought a shortbread with honey would be great. I searched online and found a few recipes, and settled on this one. The shortbread has a slight hint of honey, but when you open the oven door, the scent floods into the kitchen. Since honey is a strong flavor, I think these cookies have the perfect amount, not too overpowering, but strong enough.



1 Cup Butter
2 ½ Cups All-Purpose Flour
1/3 Cup Honey
¾ Cup Chopped Pecans
1 tsp. Vanilla


Beat butter, honey and vanilla in large bowl with electric mixer until mixture is light and fluffy.
Add flour, 1 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. If dough becomes too stiff to stir, knead in remaining flour by hand.
Work in nuts.
*My method differs here from original recipe*
Roll into a log, then shape into a square.
Refrigerate for 4 hours or so.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Slice into 1/4", place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment.
Prick with a fork.
Bake for 14 minutes.



A Year Ago: Roasted Garlic Pasta with Prosciutto, Spinach and White Beans

No comments: