Thursday, February 26, 2009

Creamy Broccoli and White Bean Soup


Broccoli is one of my favorite vegetables. I love creamy broccoli soup, but I don’t like to add cream to soup, or use a roux, made with lots of butter because the calories and fat really add up! In order to give this soup a creamy texture without added fat, I used pureed cannellini beans. They keep the consistency of the soup velvety, don’t alter the color, and add a nice texture. I like to puree 2/3 of the broccoli and leave some with a bit of texture, but you can puree it all, or leave it chunky. I serve with with beer bread for a delicious, warm, wholesome vegetarian meal.

Creamy Broccoli and White Bean Soup


1 head of broccoli, steamed
1 15 oz. can cannellini beans, drained
1 tbsp. EVOO
1 yellow onion, grated
2 garlic cloves, grated
2 c. vegetable or chicken stock
1/2 c. skim milk
¼ tsp. dried oregano
Salt and Pepper


Garnishes:
Cheddar Cheese
Scallions
Sour Cream
Crumbled Bacon


Heat a large soup pot over medium heat.
Add EVOO, onion and garlic. Sauté for 5 minutes.
While onions and garlic cook, add stock and 2/3 of the broccoli to a blender. Puree.
Pour into the pot with the onions and garlic.
Put the cannellini beans in the blender with the milk, puree.
Pour into the soup.
Chop the remaining steamed broccoli to desired size, add to pot.
Add oregano, taste for seasoning.
Bring to a bubble. Plate, serve with toppings.


A Year Ago (I forgot to do this for a few days):
Country Challenge - Thailand - Green Curry with Tofu
Inaugural Tuesday's With Dorie - Pecan Sour Cream Biscuits

6 comments:

Ashley said...

This looks great! I don't think I've ever had those 2 ingredients together in a soup...yum!

Macaroni and Cheesecake said...

what a great idea to use the cannelini beans! Love it and can't wait to try this soup!!

Anonymous said...

I have a question...I know before you've said that you try to keep your dinners at around 600-700 cals, but what are your serving sizes? I really want to start cooking good, healthy meals for dinner but I find the whole trying to figure out how many calories are in each serving such a pain!! Help!

Kelly said...

Using the beans is a great tip for keeping the soup lower in flat. I love using pureed beans as well as pureed silken tofu. Yum!

Debbie said...

The soup and the chocolate chip cake both look great!!!

healthy ashley said...

I'm going to make this tonight!