Friday, February 20, 2009

The Best Ever Roasted Cauliflower



I believe in fate... especially when it comes to good food! Sadly, baseball season is in full force, so my husband will be missing many dinners at home over the next few months, but it's ok, because I get to make some of my favorite dishes (and eat vegetarian meals)!
JJ will eat almost anything I put on his plate, but he's told me he refuses to eat cauliflower, so don't bother making it for him ever. I respect his hatred (though I can't understand it!) so when I was planning this week's menu, I had to include some cauliflower!
I was just about to ask for some recommendations when Cara said she had the best ever cauliflower for dinner. She simply roasted it, then tossed it with balsamic vinegar and blue cheese, two of my other favorite ingredients! It was fate... and it was GOOD!
I decided to plate it over some barilla plus rotini and I added a chopped up chik'n patty (morningstar farms faux chicken).

(Balsamic and Blue Cheese Cauliflower)

1 head of fresh cauliflower, washed and chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
salt & pepper
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 oz crumbled blue cheese

Preheat oven to 400F.
Toss cauliflower in olive oil and arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet.
Roast for about 18 minutes, then remove from oven.
Drizzle with balsamic vinegar, season with salt and pepper, and toss to distribute.
Sprinkle with cheese and returns to oven for another 5-10 minutes.
If desired, turn on broiler at the end to finish browning to your liking.

Since I haven't posted much this week, there's a bit of A Year Ago's, as an aside, these are some of my absolute favorite dishes EVER:
German Potato Salad
Classic Spaghetti and Meatballs & Baked Zucchini Sticks with Marinara
Sausage and Lentil Stew with Cheddar Herb Beer Bread
Pesto & Pea Orrecchheti with Prosciutto and Provolone Stuffed Chicken

2 comments:

Joanne said...

Roasted cauliflower is one of my serious faves at the moment. It takes so litle effort and even with just salt and pepper tastes so great. It is strange about your husband...does he like broccoli?

What's Cookin Chicago said...

I need to cook with cauliflower more often. I love the roasted caramelization of this!