Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Ensalata de Endivas Palmitos, y Paltas (Belgian Endive, Hearts of Palm, and Avocado Salad)


I wanted to make a vegetable side to go with the potatoes and sausage, so I looked thru the salad portion of The South American Table. I found this Colombian recipe, and it was very interesting. I'm sure I've had hearts of palm, but I can't remember preparing them before. I love endive, so I decided to go for this salad. It was good, but a little random to me. I did notice that taking a bite of the salad with each ingredient made it taste better, the avocado softened the bite of the endive. The hearts of palm did taste a little like the tin can, I'd be very interested to try them fresh. I don't know that I'd make this salad again, but it was interesting nonetheless!


Ensalata de Endivias, Palmitos, y Paltas
Belgian Endive, Hearts of Palm, and Avocado Salad
from The South American Table

1 14 oz. can of hearts of palm
1 c. pitted black olives
4 Belgian endive
2 tbsp. parsley (omitted)
2 Haas avocados

Vinagrete Clasico:
1/4 c. EVOO
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tbsp. dijon mustard
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. sugar
Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl, set aside.

Drain the hearts of palm, rise thoroughly. Cut into 1/4" slices.
Drain and rinse the olives.
Core the endive and cut into 1/2" slices.
Peel and pit the avocados, then cut into 1/2" cubes.
Place all ingredeints in a mixing bowl, toss with the dressing.
Serve immediately.

2 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

i've had a similar salad at a Columbian restaurant here in the city and it's delicious! Thanks for posting this!

Kelly said...

Interesting combo. I remember seeing that cookbook and thinking that with all the odd things I've eaten I don't think I've had hearts of palm either. Thanks for another great post.