Saturday, February 7, 2009

Milk and Dark Chocolate Covered Cherries

I rarely get boxes of chocolates, but when I do, the first one I look for the cherry! When I found this recipe on allrecipes.com, I was so excited. I had no idea how it easy it is to make them. I decided to add them to the Valentine's packages I made this weekend.
I decided to do half milk chocolate, and half dark to please everyone.
The directions say to let them sit for a week for the center to go back to liquid, so I'll try to save one and eat it next Saturday!
Chocolate Covered Cherries

60 maraschino cherries with stems
3 tablespoons butter, softened
3 tablespoons corn syrup
2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
1 pound chocolate confectioners' coating
(I used 12 oz. milk and 12 oz. dark chocolate)

Drain cherries and set on paper towels to dry.In a medium bowl, combine butter and corn syrup until smooth.
Stir in confectioners' sugar and knead to form a dough.
Chill to stiffen if necessary.
Wrap each cherry in about 1 teaspoon of dough.
Chill until firm.
Melt confectioners' coating in a heavy saucepan over low heat.
Dip each cherry in by its stem, and place on waxed paper lined sheets.
Chill until completely set.
Store in an airtight container in a cool place.
Best after 1 or 2 weeks.

The 'dough' and the cherries, drying


The cherries, wrapped in dough, before being coated in chocolate

1 comment:

That Girl said...

Those are the first candies I go after also! The inlaws get a box of chocolate every year at Christmas, and BIL eats all the cherries before we get up there.