Saturday, February 7, 2009

Sugar Cookie Conversation Hearts



I think the most infamous thing to come from this blog is my rolled sugar cookie recipe. After trying out so many recipes over the years, and interjecting a few of my favorite flavors and techniques, I've come up with something I love. They hold their shape so well, they're tender but still sturdy, and the flavor is complex but delicious. They're not too sweet, which is good because they're usually covered with sugary royal icing.
I made these conversation heart cookies for Valentine's Day because they're just so cute!
I'm going to put some on sticks and bring them to work Friday


My Famous Sugar Cookies!

1 1/2 cups butter
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup powdered sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1 tbsp. lemon zest
5 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
Powdered sugar, for rolling


Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Cream butter and sugars in a mixer for 5 minutes.
Add in eggs one at a time, mixing thoroughly.
Add in vanilla, almond, and lemon zest.
Beat for 10 seconds.
Add in baking powder and salt, beat again.
Add in flour 1 c. at a time, mix for 15 seconds between each addition.
Do not over mix, this process should take about one minute.
Chill dough for up to a week in the fridge, or roll out and cut right away.
Bake on a parchment lined cookie sheet for about 7 minutes, or until golden brown on the bottom.

A Year Ago: Banana Bread

16 comments:

MyRunningJourney said...

Adorable!! And they look like they came straight out of a gourmet bakery!

Anonymous said...

How long do you bake these cookies for?

Thanks!!

Melissa said...

Those look like so much fun! They really came out great!

Ashlee said...

I bake them for about 7 minutes, or until lightly golden brown on the bottom.

Brooke said...

These are so adorable!!

ErinsFoodFiles said...

These are TOO cute! I love it!

ErinsFoodFiles said...

PS. You should definitely submit these to Tastespotting!

Nicole said...

I just made up a batch and they look awesome. Instead of icing the whole top, I split the dough into three and added red, blue, and yellow food coloring. They look awesome...probably have a few less calories, and are a little less sweet :)

Anonymous said...

These are so much nicer than the boxed candies!

nicole said...

I just made a batch of your sugar cookies in XO shape. Thank you for this great recipe!

Angie said...

I just made a batch today. I'm excited to give them a shot. Right now the dough is chilling in the fridge!

Aussiemuminthekitchen said...

I found this recipe on Good Things Catered. My sister in law and I got together on Saturday to make these and we were both sooooo excited when we tasted how delicious these are. These are by far the best Sugar cookies EVER! Thank you! I can't thank you enough. After many failed attempts we finally found a GREAT recipe. It is a keeper FOR SURE!

Coco said...

I have finally found THE sugar cookie! Thank you so much for sharing with the rest of us. I just made a batch to share with a pregnant friend and she loved them!

AnickH said...

same recipe used by sprinklebakes and melskitchencafe and angelaskitchen. its a good one(:

Kristin Renee said...

They certainly looked delicious and they did hold their shape while baking. However, for me and the some fifteen people that tried them....they were seriously bland and the texture was just off. Happy I tried a new recipe though, but I'll stick to a good to sugar cookie recipe I have.

Unknown said...

These cookies came out perfectly. Thank you for the recipe