Saturday, April 18, 2009

Vegetarian Fajita Pasta

For dinner last night, I wanted to make my dad and I some pasta to carbo-load for the big race. Really, I didn't need to, but he did I guess :)
I created this dish months ago, and I love it. I knew dad would love it too because he loves veggies, especially zucchini and spicy things. He's pescetarian though, so I subbed black beans for the ground turkey, and I added a few extra spices!


Vegetarian Fajita Pasta
Makes 4 servings

1 lb. Ronzoni Smart Taste Penne
2 cloves minced garlic
1 red onion, sliced
8 oz. sliced button mushrooms
1 zucchini, sliced
2 red bell peppers, sliced
1 green pepper, sliced
1 jalapeno, sliced
Salt and Pepper
1 15 oz. can organic tomato sauce
1 15 oz. can organic black beans, drained
2 tsp. Dark Chili Powder
2 tbsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. smoked paprika
1/2 c. 2% shredded cheddar cheese
Chopped cilantro, Sour Cream or Guacamole for garnish

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt heavily, cook pasta until al dente. Drain.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high, add mushrooms, zucchini, peppers, onion, and garlic. Sautee veggies for 10-15 minutes, until they’re tender. Season with salt and pepper.
Add tomatoes, black beans, spices and pasta. Stir to combine.
Pour into a casserole dish.
Bake for 15 minutes, until cheese is melted and pasta is bubbly.
Plate and serve with garnishes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks delicious - did you use a whole can of black beans?

Elyse said...

Mmm, this pasta bake looks totally fabulous. I'm a huge fan of that layer of cheese sitting atop your yummy pasta and veggie combo. Totally delicious!

kitchenbelle said...

What a wonderful spin on traditional baked ziti!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

I love the mexican twist you put on this! You could even submit it to the Foodie Films blogging event I'm hosting where we are featuring Mexican inspired recipes. Details are in my blog's left sidebar :)