Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Cous Cous Stuffed Tomatoes



For dinner tonight, I'm showcasing the SuperFood Tomatoes. I thought I'd utilize tomatoes in two different forms, fresh heirloom tomatoes and herb sun dried tomatoes. I made a simple cous cous salad and stuffed fresh tomatoes. These are very versatile though, they can be baked off, but I don't like warm/cooked chunks of tomato, so I served mine cold/room temp.
I used Israeli cous cous because it's all they have in the bulk bins, and I didn't need a whole box, just 2/3 c.

Cous Cous Stuffed Tomatoes

2 large heirloom tomatoes, top sliced off and hollowed out
Salt and pepper

1 c. organic chicken or vegetable stock
2/3 c. Israeli cous cous
1/4 red onion, minced
10 oil packed sun dried tomatoes with herbs
2 oz crumbled feta
2 tbsp. minced parsley
1 tsp. minced oregano or 1/4 tsp. dried
Salt and pepper

Bring stock to a boil in a small soup pot.
Add cous cous, turn heat off, stir cous cous, cover.
Let it sit for 10 minutes, in the mean time, add remaining ingredients to a bowl.
Toss gently, add cous cous and toss.
Season tomatoes with salt and pepper, spoon in cous cous salad.
Refrigerate until eating or bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

4 comments:

Elyse said...

Mmm, these tomatoes look fabulous! I love heirloom tomatoes. Well, really, I love almost ANY tomato. Your couscous is the perfect filling for these beauties!

Joanne said...

I love how you stuffed tomatoes with tomatoes. I don't know why I find it so amusing. They do look like a great dish though.

What's Cookin Chicago said...

I made a similar dish which I got from Weight Watchers but I like that you used Iraeli couscous in this... looks like it adds more texture and absorbs more flavor too!

Kelly said...

That looks delicious. I especially love Israeli Cous Cous.