Saturday, April 4, 2009

Mu Shu Vegetables


My absolute favorite thing to order when we get Chinese take out is Mu Shu Vegetables. I love the cabbage in the sweet and smoky hoisin sauce with the shredded egg and mushrooms, it's delicious! However, I'm sure when I order it out there's lots of extra fat and salt, so I decided to try making it at home. Usually we also order a few other things, so there's extra rice, and I usually eat my mu shu mixture over rice and don't use the pancakes, but tonight I had some extra whole wheat wraps that needed to be used.
The reason I made this dish is because today on Ash if Fit, the featured SuperFood is cabbage!
One thing I used in this recipe that's traditional in Mu Shu is black chinese mushrooms, often found dried in the market. After I reconstituted the whole package in water, I had tons of mushrooms! I had no idea the tiny dried up bits would grow like they did! I left the extras in the water and froze it to use at a later time. I have no idea if that was what I should do, but we'll see!


Mu Shu Vegetables

4 dried black mushrooms
2 eggs, beaten with salt and pepper
1 tsp. sesame oil
2 cloves garlic, grated
½” grated ginger
4 cups finely shredded Napa cabbage
2 large carrot, shredded
3 scallions, sliced
¼ c. soy sauce
1 tbsp dry sherry
2 tbsp. Hoisin sauce
½ c. edamame
½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes

Mandarin Pancake Wrappers or Brown Rice
Hoisin sauce
Chinese Mustard


Place mushrooms in a bowl, cover with boiling water, let sit for 20 minutes.
Beat eggs in a small dish, set aside.
Prepare all vegetables.
Heat a wok over medium. Spray with nonstick spray, add eggs and cook for 2 minutes, flip and cook for 30 seconds.
Fold into thirds, slice thinly and set aside.
Heat wok over high, add sesame oil and crushed red pepper flakes.
Grate in garlic and ginger, sauté for 1 minute.
Add cabbage, carrots, and scallions. Toss and cook for 3 minutes.
Add soy sauce, sherry and hoisin.
Toss to coat, all water should be cooked out.
Turn heat off, add edamame and sliced egg.
To serve, smear extra hoisin and mustard in a mandarin pancake, top with some of the cabbage mixture, fold like a burrito and serve.




SuperFoods: Cabbage, Edamame (soy), Ginger, Garlic

Sidekicks: Carrots, Scallions, Mushrooms

A Year Ago - Fiji! Roti, Pea and Potato Curry, Curried Citrus Chicken Papaya, Rum Currant Scones

2 comments:

Elyse said...

Mmm, these mu shu veggies sound fantastic. I really would love to have a nice heaping plate of these right now. I can't wait to try out this recipe. I'm totally bookmarking this page!

kitchenbelle said...

This looks great. I love making homemade versions of takeout favorites!