Saturday, April 5, 2008

Fiji - #5


These scones were so delicious! From working at Starbucks for so long, I know how heavy and dense scones can be, but these were very light and they had just the right amout of sweetness. Since I worked there, I only ever knew triangle scones. A year ago when I saw a round scone, I had no idea what it was!
I had a pretty tough time finding currants. I looked for fresh, but dried was the best I could do. They pretty much tasted just like raisins to me, and look like rodent poop. Yeah, very appetizing!


Fiji Rum Currant Scones

1/2 cup currants
3 tbsp. Fijian dark rum
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 eggs beaten separately (I used 1 in the dough, and milk to wash the scones)
1/2 cup buttermilk
Cinnamon and Sugar for dusting

Soak the currants in the rum.
Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl, cut in the butter. When it's combined, add in the egg, buttermilk, and currants in rum. Mix until just combined. Wrap dough in plastic and chill for 30 minutes.
Roll out to 3/4" thickness and cut into triangles. Place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet, brush with milk, and sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top.
Bake at 375 for 15 minutes, until lightly golden brown.

Sam Choy's Polynesian Kitchen, Sam Choy.

2 comments:

Courtney @ I CAN DO THIS said...

You mean scones AREN'T supposed to weigh five pounds each???

Anonymous said...

YUM! Currant scones are my favorite!