Monday, April 28, 2008

Bolivia - #1



This meal is my favorite kind of meal, tons of coloful veggies with fresh herbs and beans. This recipe is what made me choose Bolivia this week. I believe that when you eat a rainbow of foods, you're eating healthy (unless you're eating M&M's)! This is a wonderful fresh, summery meal that is versatile. The author says you can add shrimp, chicken, turkey, or ham to the salad. I chose to add tofu cubes to mine, and grilled chicken marinated in a lime vinegarette for my husband. Please enjoy my first Bolivian meal, with quinoa, of course!



Ensalada de Quinua con Frejoles Negros y Choclo

(Quinoa Salad with Black Beans and Corn)




salad:

1 cup quinoa

6 cups water

1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed

1 cup corn kernels

1/2 red bell pepper, diced

1/2 green pepper, diced

1/2 cup red onion, diced

1/2 cup sliced scallions

8 oz. meat, cubed (optional)

1/2 cup minced cilantro

vinaigrette:

1/3 cup EVOO
2 tbso. sherry vinegar
1 tbsp dijon mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
pinch of sugar

garnish:
8 cherry tomatoes, halved
salad greens


1. To make the salad: place quinoa in a mesh strainer, run under cold water until it runs clear. Dump the quinoa in a pot of boiling water, cook for 12 minutes until transparent. Drain and rinse, then place back in the pot and cook on low for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Place in a large mixing bowl to cool.
2. Add the beans, corn, peppers, onion, scallions, and meat, toss well to combine.
3. To make vinaigrette: add all ingredients to a jar and shake to combine.
4. Toss the salad with the dressing, taste for salt. Place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
5. Before serving, toss in cilantro. Plate over lettuce, garnish with tomatoes and cilantro.


The South American Table, Maria Baez Kijac. Harvard Common Press: Boston, 2003.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is MY favorite kind of meal too! Full of color and crunch! YUM! I think I'm going to love Bolivia... :)

Anonymous said...

I love quinoa like whoa! I usually make it with lentils and sundried tomatoes and stuff. this looks awesome though! I might just have to give this a try too!