Sunday, April 26, 2009

KU Cake and Cupcakes for Pumpkin!

I was asked to make a combo grooms cake/rehearsal dinner cake/30th birthday cake for my mom's friend's daughter over the weekend. The groom is from Kansas, and is a big KU and Chiefs fan, so she wanted me to incorporate that somehow and she wanted a red velvet sheet cake. I decided to put a big Jayhawk on the cake, and pipe arrows with the KC logo on the sides (you can just barely see them). I used my favorite Red Velvet cake, and baked off 2 - 1/2 sheet cakes. I used 1.5 batches of cake batter in each layer, and iced it in cream cheese frosting. I was so paranoid the cake would droop, colors would run and it would melt because it was in the upper 80's on Saturday, but it survived! (The space in the upper right corner is for the "3" and "0" candles, but they were put on after I delivered it.


Also over the weekend Pumpkin's new collar and leash arrived! She's had the same ladybug collar for 3 years, so I thought I'd get her something new for her birthday (June 1), and also, she was beginning to eat through her leash. She's spastic, have I mentioned that before???
So I was looking for dog collars on etsy (check it out if you've never shopped there, it's all homemade!), and I found this ADORABLE cupcake collar. Pumpkin has been known to jump on the table and eat cake/icing! (my graduation cake....) The only food she ever begs for is popcorn and buttercream - weird, I know. She can smell it from a mile away and stares a hole in me!


Anyway, the collar and leash were very well priced, and they look very durable. Also, I think I ordered them on Wednesday and got them Saturday, so Kerrie is very quick!
I didn't photograph the leash because if I pick it up, she'll think we're going on another walk :)

10 comments:

Kelly said...

Love Pumpkin's new collar :)
Amazing cake too!

PS. I made the Garden Harvest Muffins the other day, so good!

LissaMarie said...

that collar is so cute!

Cara said...

Your cake looks great, but I have to admit I cringed a little when I saw the big Jayhawk! (although it was done very well!) I am a K-State grad, so they are our big rivals! Great job though with the cake!

Amanda said...

Rock Chalk Jayhawk! Saw the cake and had to comment. It looks awesome (and not just because it's rocking a Jayhawk)! Good job!

emily said...

that is adorable!

Joanne said...

I think that you have found your second career as a caterer, that cake with all of the decorations looks professional! Pumpkin is so cute.

What's Cookin Chicago said...

What a fabulous cake! Nice work!

Kelly said...

Great pictures. I am definitely checking at Etsy store out now! That cake is beautiful. I wish I had your decorating skills.

Elyse said...

What a fabulous looking cake. I'm totally impressed with your decorating skilled. The cake is just gorgeous, but I must admit that Pumpkin steals the show. What a cutie :)

Tiff said...

I love the cake!!! Rock Chalk! Really nice job!