Monday, April 13, 2009

Big Ken's Cedar Plank Salmon with Honey-Lime Sauce


For Easter dinner, it's tradition that we go to the Smith's house. Mr. Smith, or Big Ken as we like to call him, cooked some salmon for dinner. I honestly tried to take a bite, but I can't do it. I have tried so hard to will myself to eat fish, but I can't. They told me this salmon was delicious, but I'm a big baby and I just can't eat fish. I'm really just meant to be a vegetarian... what can I say?
However, salmon is a SuperFood, and the only one I was planning on NOT blogging because I wasn't going to make it, but since Big Ken did, I just had to get this in the blog!
This recipe comes from the Weber Grill cookbook. He buys his cedar plans at Costco (pictured under the salmon dish above), I think 6 to a pack. He made 2 large fillets, one board for each, and cooked it on his gas grill. The cedar smelled delicious, as did the sauce, but I'm not going to comment on the salmon ;) Dawn would also like for everyone to notice her beautful springy china, and the lovely parsley garnish!


Cedar Planked Salmon
with Honey-Lime Sauce

Dressing:
1 tbsp. fresh lime juice
2 tbsp. rice vinegar
2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
2 tbsp. honey
2 tbsp. fresh minced chives
1 tsp. kosher salt
½ tsp. granulated garlic
½ tsp. fresh black pepper
¼ tsp. cayenne
¼ c. EVOO


1 large samon fillet (with skin), 2 ½ to 3 lbs., 16 in. long and ¾” thick
½ tsp. kosher salt
¼ tsp. fresh black pepper
1 untreated cedar plank 16”x8” soaked in water for 1 hour


To Make Dressing:
Combine all ingredients (except EVOO) in a blender.
With the blender running, stream in EVOO until it emulsifies.


Place the salmon on a cutting board, remove any pin bones.
Season the flesh side with salt and pepper. Pour half the dressing over the salmon, distribute evenly.


Remove the cedar plank from water, place it over DIRECT HIGH heat until the edges smoke and char, 3-10 minutes (don’t let it flame)
Move the plank over INDIRECT HEAT and place the salmon, skin side down, on the plank.
Grill until the salmon is just slightly pink in the center and brown on the edges, 20-25 minutes.
Remove the plank and salmon to a heatproof surface. Serve warm with remaining dressing on the side.

4 comments:

Joanne said...

I LOVE salmon so thanks a bunch for the recipe. It's interesting because I baby-sit for a woman who has been a vegetarian for the majority of her life. Her husband and daughter are not, however, and she says she has tasted some of their "meat" products on occasion. She claims that fish is the only kind she can really stomach because it doesn't have that muscle-y texture as much as chicken, beef, or pork.

What's Cookin Chicago said...

That honey lime sauce sounds amazing paired with salmon!

Debbie said...

The salmon looks very good. I know what you mean about not being able to eat something. I have that problem sometimes with ribs....I hear ya!

Elyse said...

I love salmon on cedar plank. The flavor is just incredible. And that honey-lime sauce sounds like the perfect complement to the salmon flavor. What a fabulous meal.