Monday, April 13, 2009

Restaurant Review: BLU Boy Cafe & Cakery

BLU Boy Chocolate Cafe & Cakery
112 E. Kirkwood Ave.
Bloomington, IN
(812) 334-8460

Location: Downtown on E. Kirkwood next to Chumley Theater, near Walnut
Cuisine: Gourmet Chocolates, Baked Goods in store and to order
Price: From what I can remember, chocolates were about $3-4 each,
Cake slices and cupcakes were about $4.50 each

BLU Boy Chocolate Cafe and Cakery is a newer bakery and chocolatier in Bloomington, opening in 2008. After doing my research, I learned that Blu Boy is very focused on buying locally and using fresh ingredients without preservatives. They have a blog where they show some of the visits to their ingredient suppliers: http://bluboychocolate.typepad.com/.
I first tried their chocolates right after they opened. They are decadent, melt in your mouth, and many are very beautiful (hand painted!). They are expensive if you compare them to a Hershey's bar, but the quality is superior and they make a very thoughful and delicious gift.
Blu Boy currently has a promotion if you bring back an empty chocolate container for refill, they will give you one space free!
Because chocolates are such a popular hostess and holiday gift, why not buy local and support Blu Boy or any chocolatier in your city rather than buy a box of Godiva?
I recently learned that Blu Boy teaches chocolate classes on the 1st Tuesday of the month from 7-9pm, I wish I could have gone to one!

I have had a few desserts from Blu Boy including chocolate cake and hummingbird cake.
The chocolate cake iself was very moist, rich and velvety. The icing was a little too buttery for my taste. It was borderline eating a stick of chocolate butter. The icing was a little thick, too. I scraped most of it off and just ate the cake.
Hummingbird cake was something I've never had before, so I decided to go for it. It looked beautiful and chock full of flavor, which it was. If you've never had hummingbird cake, this is place to try it! It has bananas, pineapple, pecans, cinnamon, and lots of flavor! It's like a carrot cake for banana lovers.

I was a little disappointed the last time I went there because it closes at 6pm Monday thru Thursday, so if you want to drop in after dinner for a treat, it has to be on the weekend when they're open until 10pm (Sunday's they're closed).
I don't know that I'd go to Bluboy specifically for a pastry or cake, but their chocolates are definitely something special!

4 comments:

Kelly said...

I love any business that makes an effort to source locally and the hummingbird cake sounds awesome.

Kristine said...

Why would you go anywhere to buy a cake? You make the best cakes around :)

Keri said...

Yum, I'm craving chocolate now!

Meganerd said...

Hey! I found your blog through a link on http://balanceformere.blogspot.com

She was raving about your recipes, I can't wait to check them out! :D