Saturday, April 18, 2009

Sweet Potato Fries with Avocado Dipping Sauce


Tonight I am blogging about the SuperFood Avocado! Usually I just chop it up and put it on salads, or make guacamole, but I wanted to do something different. I saw this recipe on Kelly's blog, originally by Ingrid Hoffman of Food Network.
The fries have delicious flavor, and the avocado dipping sauce was superb! I changed it a bit by subbing yogurt to make it low fat/cal. JJ absolutely loved it, and we'll definitely be using it as a sandwich spread and dip.
I served it with Mango Chicken Sausage from TJ's and broccoli because I loaded up last week - it was on sale :)

Sweet Potato Fries with Avocado Dipping Sauce
as see on The Pink Apron

2 large sweet potatoes, peeled or unpeeled, cut into 4-inch long and 1/4 to 1/2-inch thick fries
2 tablespoons olive oil, or more as needed
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
Coarse ground rock salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Avocado Dip, recipe follows


Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F.
Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and set aside.
Place the sweet potatoes in a large bowl and toss with olive oil until the sweet potatoes are coated.
Add the paprika, chili powder, coriander, salt, and pepper; toss to distribute evenly.
Arrange the coated fries in a single layer on the prepared pan.
Bake for 20 minutes on the lower rack until the sweet potatoes soften.
Transfer the pan to the upper rack of the oven and bake 10 minutes longer, until fries are crispy. Serve with Avocado Dip.

Avocado Dip:
1 Haas avocado,
1/2 cup plain lowfat organic yogurt
2 tbsp. light sour cream
1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped.
2 scallions, white and light green part only, chopped
1 lime, juiced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Place the avocado, yogurt, sour cream, jalapeno, scallions, and lime juice into a blender or small food processor.
Blend for 1 minute or until you have a smooth paste.
Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Serve as a dip for the Sweet Potato Oven Fries.

5 comments:

Elyse said...

Oh man, I love sweet potato fries. I mean, they are one of my favorite foods by far. But, having them with avocado dipping sauce? Now, that just sounds divine!

Joanne said...

You have just combined two of my favorite foods. Which also happen to both be superfoods. How can you go wrong?

What's Cookin Chicago said...

The avocado dipping sauce sounds like a fantastic condiment for your fries! I love avocado and I'm sure I'd gobble this up!

Cara said...

Love the avocado dip! Just made some and had it for a snack. So good! I will have to try it with sweet potato fries now!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the fantastic recipe. I wish I had more recipes I can experiment with acai berry juice because I happen to be a huge fan of acai berry juice.