Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Spinach, Artichoke and Goat Cheese Summer Rolls

For dinner tonight, I was inspired by a recipes I saw on Kelly's blog for Artichoke, Spinach and Goat Cheese Spring Rolls. I loved the east meets west feel of these rolls, different from anything I've ever seen! When I looked at the recipe, I was surprised to see that it still used asian flavors for the dipping sauce and roll contents. I decided to instead make it more of an Italian flavored roll because that was what I was craving. These rolls were delicious, like a salad in a wrap, very innovative and fun!


Spinach, Artichoke and Goat Cheese Summer Rolls

20 rice paper wrappers
1 bag of fresh baby spinach
1 14. oz can articokes, chopped
1/2 red onion, julienne
1 red bell pepper, julienne
1 6 oz. log of organic goat cheese, crumbled
40 basil leaves

Dipping sauce (not pictured):
1 tbsp. dijon mustard
2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp. honey
1/4 c. EVOO
Salt and pepper
Fresh oregano, minced

Prep all ingredients and set out on a cutting board.
Grease a serving platter with 1 tbsp. EVOO.
Fill a pie plate with warm water.
Dip a rice wrapper into water, soak for 30 seconds.
Pull out, place on a cutting board, add spinach, 2 basil leaves, pepper, artichokes, goat cheese and onion.
Roll up like a burrito, place on the greased serving platter.
Refrigerate until serving.

To make dipping sauce:
Whisk all ingredients in a small dish, taste and adjust seasonings.


6 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Rice paper is awesome! What a great filling and a reminder how these wrappers are perfect to use for even your favorite salad!

Rebecca said...

These look so fresh and full of flavor. Do you happen to know if they'd keep overnight in the fridge, or would you need to keep the filling separate and roll fresh ones the next day?

Melissa said...

Okay, I am well aware that this is a stupid question...but are the rice papers edible??

Jay said...

I hope you saved one for me!

Elyse said...

I love those rice paper wraps! They're so much fun to play around with, and the fillings are endless. I love the ingredients you've chosen here. Fresh, springy, and totally filling. Great job!

Artichoke said...

Thanks for the recipe. I find artichoke very tasty. It is good for health. It is rich in iodine. It reduces cholesterol and improves blood circulation, it is also helpful for diabetic people and is great for liver. It is also good for hair and is excellent treatment for eczema.