Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Vegan Italian Lentil and Vegetable Stew



While this may not be the most attractive dish, it was absolutely delicious! I've been fighting an awful cold for about a week. On Sunday night, I decided to fight it naturally with a warm stew, full of vegetables, and broth. I can't say that it cured me, but I am feeling much better today! This stew was basically all of the vegetables I had in the pantry and fridge, but you can also swap lentils for other dried or canned beans, and add other vegetables, such as green beans, brussels sprouts, okra, celery, and other squash varities.
I un-veganed my bowl by adding a sprinkle of parmesan and crushed red pepper after the photo, but it had great flavor, and could do without it. I also whipped up a loaf of whole wheat beer bread for this, which was great for sopping up the last of the broth!

Italian Lentil and Vegetable Stew

1 cup dried brown lentils, soaked overnight and drained
2 tbsp. EVOO
1 yellow onion, finely diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
1 medium zucchini, quartered and sliced
2 small yellow summer squash, quartered and sliced
8 oz. white button mushrooms, sliced
Salt and fresh cracked black pepper
1 cup dry white wine
4 cups vegetable stock
1 28 oz. can Italian style diced tomatoes, divided
1 tbsp. dried Italian herb mix

Heat a dutch oven over medium-low heat.
Add EVOO, then chop vegetables and drop them in as you go (onions, garlic, carrots, zucchini, summer squash, mushrooms).
Season with salt and pepper, stir with a large wooden spoon and cook for about 10 minutes, until tender.
Add half of tomatoes and juice to a blender, puree half, leave the other half diced.
Add white wine, reduce, add stock, tomato puree, diced tomatoes, and herbs.
Bring to a simmer, stir, reduce heat to low, and cook for 30 minutes to 2 hours.
Add more stock, if necessary.
Serve with crushed red pepper flakes and beer bread.

2 comments:

Angie Eats Peace said...

Sounds good! Thanks for posting.

Joanne said...

Ugh I hate this time of year because of all the sickness it seems to produce. I hope you are feeling better!