Friday, January 15, 2010

Gorgonzola and Caramelized Onion Cheeseball



On Monday, I hosted my book club. I decided to make a few different things because it's kind of a pot luck event and I didn't know what was coming. I figured I'd do an appetizer (this), a main (quiche) and a dessert (cookies in last post). Most people seem to love a good cheeseball smeared on a cracker, so I decided to make one. I got the main flavor ideas for this from Joelen and her blog, but went a different way with the other ingredients. This cheeseball was great, really creamy and flavorful. The gorgonzola was present, but not overpowering. I think everyone really enjoyed it!

Gorgonzola and Caramelized Onion Cheeseball

1 tbsp. butter/EVOO
2 large yellow onion in a small dice
Salt and pepper
1 tsp. fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp. dried
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup gorgonzola crumbles
1 cup crushed walnuts
Crackers or vegetables, for serving

Heat a skillet over medium-low heat.
Add butter or EVOO and onions.
Season with salt and pepper, saute' for 20 minutes, stirring every few minutes. Add thyme. Cool to room temperature.
Add softened cream cheese and gorgonzola to a bowl.
Top with onions, stir well to combine.
Lay saran wrap on the counter, scoop cheese mixture into a ball, wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours.
Before serving cheese ball, add walnuts to a bowl. Drop cheeseball in and coat with walnuts.
Place on a platter and serve.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Always a good idea for a get-together. I love the gorgonzola in this!

Lisa said...

This looks so yummy! I've been wondering if a homemade cheeseball would taste better than from the store, so this would be the perfect recipe to find out. Thanks!