Thursday, January 21, 2010

Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies



Saturday is my brother in law's birthday, so as I usually do, I mailed him off some cookies! I asked my sister what he'd like, and she said peanut butter and chocolate chip, so I combined the two. I made up the recipe, and it came out great! I've been trying to experiment more and more with baking at home, using my judgement to try to create sucesses.  Though there's an occasional flop, I've had some great cookies come out recently!
I decided to go for a chewier cookie, light on peanut butter so it didn't overpower the cookie.... but I think any amount of PB added to anything gives it strong flavor.
Happy Birthday, Dan, hope you like them! I'm sure they'll be great skiing this weekend with some hot chocolate... or beer :)


Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies

2 sticks (1/2 lb.) butter, room temperature
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

In a standing mixer, cream together butter and peanut butter.
Add sugar, beat until pale and combined, about 3 minutes.
Turn mixer to low, add eggs one at a time, mixing well.
Beat in vanilla extract, baking soda and salt.
Add flour, mix until just combined, add chocolate chips and mix for 10 seconds.
Refrigerate batter for an hour.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Scoop in heaping tablespoons onto a parchment lined cookie sheet.
Bake for 12-14 minutes, until golden brown.
Remove, place on a wire rack and cool.


10 comments:

Sneaker Teacher said...

I have had such bad baking luck recently! I made chocolate chip cookies according to the Tollhouse recipe, but they came out really flat and didn't rise. I suspect it is the Natron (baking soda here in Germany) but when I have used it before there was no problem. I wasted a whole bag of precious chocolate chips on a total bust! So sad....

Your cookies look and sound fantastic. Maybe I should make the monster cookies again because those came out great!

Sara said...

Mmmm, these are my favorite kind of cookie. There is no way you can go wrong with PB and chocolate.

peony said...

they look realy profesional :p

Tasha said...

Just this morning I was thinking about peanut butter cookies with chocolate chips! I'm taking this as a sign that I'm supposed to make them. Right now.

Meredith said...

My 2 favorite cookies are PB and Choc Chip. Together that is heaven!

Anonymous said...

Those look wonderful! Thanks for the recipe! Love the blog :)

Joanne said...

I think I could probably handle experimenting more with cake, but cookies are still a mystery to me. i love the combination - PB is always the way to go.

Unknown said...

Dan and I tried them last night and they are really good. I don't like peanut butter cookies, but these were soft without an overpowering peanut buttery taste. Thanks for sending to Dan (and me!)

PageRank Check said...

wow i love this and i think kids will fall in love with this

AnickH said...

i have been looking for a chocolate chip PEANUT BUTTER cookie recipe that doesnt have too much peanut butter. i love peanut butter and all but i love just plain BUTTER even more and i think just a little peanut butter goes a long long way. so i made your recipe for "chocolate chip peanut butter cookies" and it was perfect. Its now my new favorite cookie!! and its not flat. i hate flat cookies