Saturday, January 2, 2010

Spinach and Emmenthaler Quiche Tart, Broccoli and Cheddar Quiche Tart



For our final brunch item I made two quiche varities. I was going to make them in pie plates like normal, but one of my pie plates was at JJ's parents house. A few weeks ago I told JJ how convienient it would be if pie plates had removable sides like tart pans. I had a lightbulb go off during my pie plate fiasco - what if I use the tart pans for quiche! They would be bigger, but easier to cut and they would cook faster. The tart pans worked like a charm, and I will probably use them from now on when I make quiche!


Spinach and Emmenthaler Quiche Tart
&
Broccoli and Cheddar Quiche Tart
2 10" pie crusts:
3 1/2 cups AP flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. sugar
2 sticks of butter, frozen
2 tbsp. shortening
1/2 cup ice water

Spinach and emmenthaler filling:
1 cup chopped spinach, drained well
6 eggs
1/2 cup milk
4 oz. shredded emmenthaler cheese
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
Pinch of nutmeg
1/2 yellow onion, minced

Broccoli and cheddar filling:
1 cup chopped steamed broccoli florets
6 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
Dash of tobasco
1/2 yellow onion, minced

Make the tart crusts first.
Add flour, salt and sugar to a large bowl. Whisk with a fork.
Cut butter and shortening into flour in pea sized pieces.
Add water and use a fork to mix until dough just comes together in a ball.
Wrap in plastic wrap, refrigerate for an hour (or overnight)


Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Roll out tart crust, place in tart pan. Place tart pans on cookie sheets.
In large mixing bowls, whisk together eggs and milk.
Add cheeses, vegetables and spices, whisk to combine.
Pour into tart pans.
Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until puffy and set.
Cool for 5 minutes, pop out of tart pan.
Slice and serve immediately.

1 comment:

Joanne said...

Haha necessity is the mother of invention I guess! What a great idea. I love the quiche ingredient combos. But I've never had emmenthaler before...sounds like a trip to Trader Joe's is needed to satisfy my curiosity!