Sunday, January 3, 2010

Maple Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Chestnuts and Pancetta


I made these brussels sprouts last week on a whim. I love pairing pancetta with brussels sprouts, and I had some in the fridge. I also had some chestnuts that needed to be used up, so the dish kind of made itself. Since it was going to be salty, earthy, and very savory, I thought adding a sweet note would round out the dish, so I tossed everything in a drizzle of pure maple syrup. This is definitely my favorite way I've prepared brussels sprouts. I'm sure I'll be making these again soon, however with chestnuts going out of season, I might swap in hazelnuts, almonds or pecans.


Maple Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Chestnuts and Pancetta

1 lb. brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
1/8 lb. pancetta, minced
1/2 cup chestnuts, halved
2 tbsp. pure maple syrup
Fresh ground black pepper
Pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Heat a small skillet over medium heat.
Add pancetta, saute' for 5 minutes, until just crisp.
Spoon out and drain on a paper towel.
Add sprouts, chestnuts and pancetta to a baking dish.
Drizzle with maple syrup, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to distribute evenly.
Roast for 30-40 minutes, depending on the size of your sprouts.
They should be slightly caramelized on the edges and tender.


SYMON SUNDAYS UPDATE:
If you are going to join the group, please send an email to symonsundays@gmail.com
The group will close on January 17, when I'll announce the first recipe and the rotation for selection. The first post date will be January 31.

5 comments:

Ashley @ The Happy Little Home said...

This sounds great!

Kelly said...

Yum. I love this twist on brussels sprouts although I'm realizing I think I've only ever eaten chestnuts pureed in a cream sauce. Hope the holidays were wonderful.

hope chest said...

Since the first day of the year started, I have been seeing a lot of brussel sprouts recipes! Is this a sign that I should live healthy? Happy New Year!

Joanne said...

I have really been loving brussels sprouts lately, but i usually just roast them. THis sounds like a great way to prepare them! Love chestnuts.

Sneaker Teacher said...

My husband was SO excited when I told him about this recipe posting. I am definitely going to try it out soon!