Monday, June 2, 2008

My Famous Sugar Cookies!

Flowers quickly became a central element in the Tea Party. I've seen cookie bouquets in magazines and thought they were so adorable, and I'd been waiting for the perfect time to give them a try. They were so easy to make, and have such great stage presence. A big thanks to Kristine, as I iced the cookies, she arranged them so beautifully in the pots. I used regular clay pots with floral foam in the middle, then shredded paper as the grass.


I never knew this sugar cookie would get so much attention, but they've been renamed from my good sugar cookies to....


My Famous Sugar Cookies!
(updated 12/2012)

1 1/2 cups butter
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup powdered sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1 tbsp. lemon zest
5 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
Powdered sugar, for rolling

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Cream butter and sugars in a mixer for 5 minutes. Add in eggs one at a time, mixing thoroughly. Add in vanilla, almond, and lemon zest. Sift in flour, baking powder, and salt a little at a time. Do not over mix, this process should take about one minute.
Chill dough for up to a week in the fridge, or roll out and cut right away.
*For these, I rolled the dough extra thin, placed on cookie on the sheet, pressed in the stick, and topped it with another*
Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and bake cookies for 12 minutes.
Ice with basic buttercream.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY!!!!!! Your cookies are the BEST!!! It is the ONLY recipe I use now and everyone loves them. That and these freaking flower pots are to DIE FOR cute! LOVE it!

Anonymous said...

Great job!! People now prefer using silk flowers in their arrangement instead of fresh flowers.