Sunday, December 7, 2008

Spinach and Ricotta Crepes

Whenever I think of crepes, I think of the bar scene in Talladega Nights.... and I can no longer look at them as delicate and fancy.... know what I mean? LOL
Anyway, I saw this recipe for crepes in my Italian cookbook, which confused me a bit. I made them a few months ago when I cooked French food...
As I read, I discovered that in Tuscany, crepes are often eaten rather than lasagna, and of course adding spinach makes something 'Florentine' in cooking terms. These had great flavor, they were very light but filling.

Spinach and Ricotta Crepes

Crepes:
1 1/4 c. milk
3/4 c. flour
1 egg
pinch of salt

In a blender, combine all of the ingredients and pulse for 10 seconds. Set aside while you prepare the filling and sauce.

Filling:
1 c. ricotta
1 egg
1 c. chopped spinach, drained
salt and pepper

Mix all ingredients in a bowl, set aside.

Sauce:
1 tbsp. butter
1 tbsp. flour
1 c. milk
pinch of nutmeg
1/2 c. grated parmesan cheese

Melt butter over low heat, add flour and whisk. Add milk and nutmeg. Bring to a gentle bubble. Add in grated cheese and stir until melted.
Pour 1/3 into the bottom of the baking dish.

Preheat the oven to 400.
Heat a nonstick pan over medium heat. Add just enough crepe batter to coat the pan. Cook for 30 seconds on the first side, until sides pull away from the pan. Flip and cook for 10 seconds. Remove from the pan, spoon in ricotta mixture, roll and place in the baking dish.
Finish all crepes, then cover with the remaining sauce.
Bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly and lightly browned.







3 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Looks delicious... almost like an italian spin on enchiladas!

Debbie said...

I love crepes...they look great with the spinache.

Kelly said...

My boyfriend and I always mention the same thing. There is a really yummy crepe place near his apartment and we always talk about eating "tiny little pancakes."