Monday, July 14, 2008

Nutella and Black Currant Filled Crepes with Berries and Creme

For dinner this week, I’ll be making French food. My first meal is a breakfast for dinner. I’ve never had crepes, or made them, so I figured now’s the time to try them out! My younger sister always orders fruit crepes when we go to brunch, so I took that idea and also added a few others.
I read that currants and jam are very popular in French cuisine, and Nutella is a common crepe filler, so I made nutella and black currant jam filled crepes with mixed berries and crème.
I recently saw an episode of Good Eats where Alton taught crepe making, so I went with his recipe and method. I also baked some eggs with Herbs de Provence and leeks, but they're not pictured. I hope you enjoy this French brunch!


(The Stars of the Crepes)


Basic Crepes, from Alton Brown

2 large eggs

3/4 cup milk

1/2 cup water

1 cup flour

3 tablespoons melted butter

Butter, for coating the pan

Nutella and Black Currant Jam

Whipped Cream

Mixed Berries

In a blender, combine all of the ingredients and pulse for 10 seconds. Place the crepe batter in the refrigerator for 1 hour. This allows the bubbles to subside so the crepes will be less likely to tear during cooking. The batter will keep for up to 48 hours. Heat a small non-stick pan. Add butter to coat. Pour 1 ounce of batter into the center of the pan and swirl to spread evenly. Cook for 30 seconds and flip. Cook for another 10 seconds and remove to the cutting board. Lay them out flat so they can cool. Continue until all batter is gone.

Fill each crepe with a tablespoon full of either nutella or jam, fold in half, then over again. Top with berries and cream.

5 comments:

The Food Librarian said...

Happy Bastille Day! These look delicious. Nutella is the food of the gods, no? Have fun!

Tricia said...

yum!

Kate said...

These look great! Can you believe I've never had nutella?!

Anonymous said...

WOW this looks heavenly! My mouth is watering just reading the post!

Anonymous said...

Whoa mama...