Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Cherry Rhubarb Cobbler


This week's recipe was chosen by Amanda by Like Sprinkles on a Cupcake. I have grown up eating lots of rhubarb because it's one of my mom's favorites, so I was happy to be able to make it on my own for once! I was suprised that Dorie said cooked cherries have no flavor, because I thought they had tons... but she was right! They really didn't have much flavor in the end. I guess the 'flavor' i'm used to is from canned pie filling, packed with sugar and artificial flavoring...yum! So anyway, I loved this for a few reasons, one is because I always sub in a little whole wheat flour when baking, and this already had that, which I liked. Another was because it allowed me to be a genius for a day and figure out a quick and easy way to remove the pits from the cherries - with a straw! And lastly, I was able to put my husband to work! Removing cherry pits, no problem! See photos below :) Thanks, Amanda, for picking a great recipe!



6 comments:

CB said...

Great idea about pitting the cherries with a straw! Now why didn't I think of that?? I did it by fingers and I looked like I had murdered someone! HAHA. Great job!
Clara @ iheartfood4thought

Michelle H said...

Great job! I went through about 5 different straws to get all the cherries done. LOL

Those mini's look awesome. :o)

Dolores said...

Way to put the husband to work! Great job!

The canned cherry pie filling is also one of my guilty pleasures.

Aaliyah said...

Great idea with the straw..I was part of the paring knife crew lol.

Your cobbler looks wonderful and I like your pictoral "1001 uses for a straw!" :) I look forward to your post next week!

Jules Someone said...

And I just used a paring knife. Sheesh!

Bungalow Barbara said...

Love your cobbler! I wimped out and used frozen pre-pitted.