Sunday, December 14, 2008

Mini Peppermint Cream Puffs


Last weekend when JJ and I went to Sam's club, they were giving out samples of frozen cream puffs for parties - and only having one left me wanting more. I've always loved creampuffs, especially from Schmidts Restaurant in Columbus, OH. I even named one of my bunnies - a white and brown lop - Creampuff. She was the sweetest bunny I ever had, fluffy and pretty, very fitting for her name :)
To make the creampuffs more festive, I made them peppermint flavored. I was going to cover them in a chocolate ganache, but totally forgot by the time I was putting out desserts.


I used my favorite shell recipe from Emeril, and then for the filling I used basic pastry cream folded with homemade peppermint whipped cream. I love a combination of the 2, it's still light, but rich and delicious!


Mini Peppermint Creampuffs

Creampuff Shells:
1 c. milk
1 stick butter
1 c. flour
½ tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
5 eggs


Bring butter and milk to a gentle boil in a saucepot, add flour, salt and baking powder and stir until it comes away from the sides of the pot. Pour into a mixer bowl with paddle attachment, beat in eggs one at a time. Spoon onto a baking sheet, about 1 tbsp. blobs.
Cook for 10 min. at 425, then another 15 at 375.


Pastry Cream:
1 cup whole milk
3 large egg yolks
1/4 cup sugar
3 tbsp. cornstarch, sifted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into bits


Bring the milk to a rolling boil in a small saucepan.
In a bowl, whisk together egg yolks, sugar and cornstarch.
Place 1 ladel full of the milk in the bowl while whisking to temper the eggs.
Continue to whisk the milk, and drizzle in the egg mixture. Whisk over medium-high for 2 minutes, or until thickened. Add in vanilla and butter, turn heat off and stir.
Place in a bowl, cover with plastic, and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.


Peppermint Whipped Cream:
1 c. heavy whipping cream
1/4 c. confectioners sugar
2 tsp. peppermint extract


In a stand mixer, beat all ingredients together on high until stiff peaks form, about 2 minutes.
Leave in metal bowl, cover with plastic and refrigerate.




When ready to assemble creampuffs:
Slice shells 2/3 of the way, leaving top and bottom attached.
Fold pastry cream into whipped cream mixture.
Place in a parge piping bag, pipe into the shells.
If desired, drizzle over a chocolate ganache and peppermint pieces.

2 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Looks delicious and a great way to give traditional cream puffs a festive twist!

Kelly said...

I love these. So seasonally appropriate and creative!