Saturday, December 6, 2008

Iced Sugar Cookies


I spent all day Saturday working on my Christmas Treat packages. This was the first batch of three. One of the items in the Holiday Sampler was Iced Sugar Cookies. I decided to use a softer, chewier cookie rather than my rolled sugar cookies. I used this recipe, from Land o Lakes. The recipe says it makes 48, but I barely got out 36, and they're pretty small cookies! I iced them in an almond buttercream and used sprinkles to help set the icing (rather than roll them in vanilla sugar). They're adorable, and will hold up well being mailed. The icing will keep them a bit more moist.


Vanilla Bean Sugar Cookies
(Land o Lakes)


1 cup sugar
3/4 cup butter, softened
2 vanilla beans
1 egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

Heat oven to 375°F.
Combine 1 cup sugar and 3/4 cup butter in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Split vanilla beans lengthwise with sharp knife. Scrape seeds from vanilla beans; add to butter mixture.
Add egg; continue beating until well mixed.
Reduce speed to low; add flour, baking powder and salt. Beat until well mixed.
Shape dough into 1-inch balls, press down with palm of hand.
Place 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.
Bake for 8 minutes or until edges are very lightly browned.

2 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Beautiful cookies and the land o lakes recipe is a tasty one!

Anonymous said...

I am not at all calorie conscious. My house physician advised me to be. These cookies are so tempting, I just can't afford to miss. A half an hour with treadmill would balance everything. Ha ha.