Sunday, December 14, 2008

Pumpkin Butter and Brie en Croute




So I dreamed these up one night because I love brie with jam or something on top, and I love brie en croute. I think the idea was good, but my execution wasn't as good. I should have sealed up the edges or used a fork to crimp the sides, because half the filling oozed out the sides of these. They were still good, don't get me wrong, but I imagined biting into a plump pocket of melted brie and pumpkin, and it was just lacking a bit. I'm going to try these again though!
I could just make the whole wheel encased in pastry, but I wanted something bite sized that you could grab, not have to cut into and dip.

Pumpkin Butter and Brie en Croute

2 batches Savory Pie Crust
1 wheel of brie, cubed
1/2 c. pumpkin butter
1 egg, beaten with a few tbsp. of water

Roll out dough, cut out shapes.
Top with a tsp. of pumpkin butter and a piece of brie.
Using a pastry brush, wipe the sides with the egg wash. Press another pastry round on top. Seal edges very well.
Place on a sheet pan and in the freezer for 30 minutes.
Bake at 400 for 15 minutes, or until browned.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cute and they sound delicious! What a genius idea! We're having a party food recipe contest and would love to have you enter this or another favorite recipe. I've linked to the contest through my name - deadline to enter is tomorrow at 4 PM!

Jayne said...

Great idea! They sound wonderful!