Sunday, June 14, 2009

Valencia Orange and Spanish Olive Tapenade


One of my favorite appetizers is tapenade with crusty bread. I love to make tapenade at home because it's so easy, and it's much cheaper. I often see tiny 3-4 oz. jars of tapenade for close to $10!
The olive bar at Kroger is pretty nice, it has maybe a dozen olives and there are tags that say where they're from. I saw the green spanish olives with herbs and knew those would be perfect. I also grabbed a few kalamata olives for some variety. Usually I add a bit of lemon to my tapenade, but to keep it especially Spanish, I went with Valencia oranges. I also read parsley is all over Spanish cooking, as well as anchovies, which are traditional in many tapenades.
I am so happy with how this tapenade came out, I will definitely make it again in the future!


Valencia Orange and Spanish Olive Tapenade

Zest of a Valencia orange (1 tbsp)
1 garlic clove, smashed
1 c. parsley leaves
1 c. mixed Spanish olives in herbs
(or plain plus extra oregano and crushed red pepper flakes)
1 tbsp. White wine vinegar
1 tbsp. anchovy paste
2 tbsp. EVOO
Fresh cracked black pepper and salt to taste

Orange segments, for garnish
Bread of choice, sliced and toasted

Add zest and garlic to a food processor, pulse until garlic is minced.
Add parsley, olives, vinegar, anchovy paste and pepper.
Pulse until it's finely minced.
Add 1 tbsp. EVOO, pulse.
Taste and season with salt and pepper.
Pour into a bowl, top with orange segments.
Refrigerate until ready to serve, drizzle 1 tbsp. EVOO over the top before serving.


(close up of the herbed olives)

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I love tapas - everything looks great!