Sunday, June 14, 2009

Heirloom Tomatoes with Goat Cheese and Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette


For this dish, I copied it straight off a tapas menu from a restaurant I found online, but I used Heirloom tomatoes rather than beefsteak. I love goat cheese with tomatoes, and balsamic dressings are my favorite. I made up the dressing recipe, it's pretty simple, like any standard lighter vinaigrette. I always buy organic goat cheese, which unlike most products, is the same price as regular! I guess this is sort of the Spanish equivalent of an Italian caprese, another one of my favorites!
Also, I have found that putting the goat cheese in the freezer for 5 minutes and crumbling it with a fork is the best way to get it out and not all over your fingers!

Heirloom Tomatoes with Goat Cheese and Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette

4 large heirloom tomatoes, sliced
2 oz. organic goat cheese, crumbled

Vinaigrette:
1 tbsp. honey
1/4 c. balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp. EVOO
handful of flat leaf parsley
salt and pepper

Add dressing ingredients to a blender, whirl to combine.
Arrange tomatoes on a plate, top with goat cheese and dressing.

2 comments:

Corrinne said...

This sounds lovely! I love goat cheese as well. And not just because I work with Chavrie. Our cheese is all-natural and like you said can be just as much as others on the shelf. It's also a great tip about freezing the cheese for a bit!

Di said...

Mmmm...that looks yummy! I think I'll have to try it tonight. I have a huge bag full of tomatoes that need to get used up and this looks like it'll do the job.