Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Bistro Salad with Goat Cheese Medallions





It's been a while since I've made a fancier dinner, so I decided to put some thought into tonight's meal and make something nice. I've been meaning to make a salad with these goat cheese medallions for quite some time, but forgot about them. I saw them on a salad at a local restaurant recently, and it reminded me I wanted to make them.

I used mixed baby greens with herbs, which were fantastic, then I used the bottom of the jar method to make a lowfat honey mustard dressing. Since I have an aversion to frying things, I stuck these medallions under the broiler to crisp them up and they came out great!

Bistro Salad with Goat Cheese Medallions

6 c. organic mixed baby greens with herbs

1/4 english cucumber, diced

1/2 c. mandarain orange segments in juice

4 oz. herbed goat cheese, very cold

1/2 c. panko bread crumbs

1 egg white, whipped

dressing:

1 tbsp. honey

1 tsp. dijon mustard

1 tsp. white wine vinegar

1 tbsp. EVOO

2 tbsp. plain lowfat yogurt

salt and pepper


Place goat cheese on a cutting board. Use a cheese knife or plain dental floss to cut into 1/2"-1/4" medallions.

Dredge in egg white, then in panko and lay on a lined baking sheet.

Mist the medallions with EVOO spray. Place in the freezer until ready to broil.

Add dressing ingredients to a small bowl and whisk (or make in the bottom of the honey bear).

Arrange the salad, place medallions under the broiler for 3-4 minutes, top salad, dress and serve.



2 comments:

Joanne said...

I love the idea of these goat cheese medallions. Kind of like grown-up mozzarella sticks!

Anonymous said...

You should try raw honey! It's amazing, it's granular and crunchy and supposedly has lots of health benefits that processing strips from regular honey. And it's delicious!