Sunday, June 14, 2009

Traditional (or Sparkling) Sangria

I absolutely love Sangria. I love a nice dry red wine and a splash of citrus and a bit of sweetness. I usually add a bit of sparkling water to mine to stretch it out (so I can drink more) and it also makes it much cheaper for a group. I decided to set up a little bar so people had the choice of regular or sparkling.
This is a pretty traditional recipe, it's really a personal preference thing. Recently a new, huge market called Sahara Mart opened in Bloomington. They had a big wine tasting event last weekend that JJ and I went to. We then went over to the store and checked out their wine selection, which was HUGE. Like most wine shops, it's sorted by country of origin. What I love about Sahara Mart is they also carry a large selection of organic wines. I decided to grab 2 bottles of an inexpensive Spanish Organic Red.



Traditional Sangria

1/4 c. Brandy
1/4 c. powdered sugar
3 lemons
3 limes
2 oranges
2 bottles of Red Wine
Sparkling water (optional)

Pour brandy and powdered sugar into a pitcher. Whisk until sugar dissolves.
Juice 1 lemon, 1 lime and 1 orange. Add to pitcher.
Add 2 bottles of wine.
Slice the remaining orange, a lemon and a lime. Add to the pitcher, stir and refrigerate for at least 12 hours, or overnight.
Before serving, fill pitcher with ice and slice remaining lemon and lime for garnish.

No comments: