Sunday, June 14, 2009

Manchego and Porcini Risotto

I felt like our Spanish dinner wouldn't be complete without paella, but I don't like seafood. I decided to still make some sort of rice dish. Risotto is always a favorite of my husband, so I went with it and made it with Spanish add-ins. What I love most about risotto is the versatility. Basically you can add any cheese and fruit or vegetable, and you get a totally different dish each time.
I found some dried porcini mushrooms, which are Italian, but have great flavor. I looked at the Spanish cheese section and found manchego, so Manchego and Porcini Risotto was born.
Porcinis are pretty expensive, about $10 for 1 oz. I used .5 oz. and utilized the rehydrating liquid (stock) as well.
The manchego was very similar to parmesan at first, it's somewhat crumbly and dry, but then it begins to melt in your mouth as it heats up. It was delicious, but far more expensive than parm.
Because there were so many elements to the entire meal, and especially this dish, I cooked the risotto ahead of time, about 90% through, and then reheated it in the oven. It came out perfectly!


Manchego and Porcini Risotto

.5 oz. porcini mushrooms, reconstituted in 2 c. boiling water
1 tbsp. butter
1 tbsp. EVOO
1 small yellow onion, minced
1 1/2 c. arborio rice
1/2 c. dry white wine
2 c. warmed vegetable stock
about 20 saffron threads
4 oz. Manchego cheese, grated
Salt and pepper

Bring 2 c. water to a boil, add mushrooms.
Let them sit for 5 minutes, then remove with a slotted spoon.
Drain stock through a coffee filter, set aside.
Heat a skillet over medium heat, add EVOO and butter.
Sautee onion for a minute, add rice and sautee for 2-3 minutes, or until toasted.
Turn heat to high, add wine and reduce, turn to medium-low.
Every 2-3 minutes, add 1/4-1/2 c. stock (porcini and vegetable).
Stir well after each addition.
Add saffron with one of the stock additions.
Cook for about 25 minutes, or until rice has a little bite to it.
Mince the reconstituted mushrooms, add to risotto.
Add most of the grated cheese, stir well.
Serve or portion into ramekins.

If cooking ahead and warming later:
Place ramekins into a baking dish, fill 3/4 the way up with water.
Add 2 tbsp. stock to the top of each ramekin to keep the risotto moist.
Cover the dish with foil, place in the oven at 300 for 30 minutes to warm through.

3 comments:

Ashley Trowbrige said...

Your risotto looks great! For some reason risotto intimidates me...i'm always worried about under cooking the rice or having it turn out too starchy, but perhaps I'll give yours a try!

Unknown said...

Oh that looks wonderful!! My mouth is watering.

I have never made risotto, I will have to try it.

Ashley said...

Ohhh Manchego is my favorite! Also, I made your summer white wine pasta last week and it was delicious- thanks for the great recipe!