Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Zucchini Kuku


For dinner tonight, I chose to make an Iranian Kuku - a baked egg dish. It's similar to a frittata, or a crustless quiche. I chose this one among many others - Pistachio, Pea, Green Bean, Yogurt, Meat, and Cauliflower, for example. It's a very basic dish, and very simple for an easy weeknight meal. They are usually served with yogurt, bread and an herb salad. I chose to serve mine with spiced lentils with yogurt.
My only complaint about this dish was it lacked a bit of flavor. I think I should have combined this one with the fresh herb kuku which had scallions, cilantro, dill and parsley.


Zucchini Kuku
Najmieh Batmanglij

1 lb. Zucchini, sliced (4 medium)
3 onions, peeled and sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
3/4 c. EVOO (I used 1 tbsp.)
4 eggs
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1 tbsp. flour (I used whole wheat)
1 tsp. baking powder

1. In a skillet, brown onions, zucchini and garlic in EVOO. Lightly mash, set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 350.
3. Break eggs into a bowl, whisk in salt, pepper, flour and baking powder.
4. Add zucchini mixture to eggs. Mix.
5. Pour into a greased baking dish. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
6. Remove from oven, cool for a few minutes. Invert on a plate or spoon out of the dish.



2 comments:

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) said...

Hey Ashlee, do you have a foodbuzz account? You could get paid for your food blog!

Kelly said...

Mmmm. I love how different cultures have different versions of similar things. The pistachio one sounds especially interesting.