Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Black Beans and Rice Stuffed Poblanos & Creamy Corn and Avocado Salad


I haven't made any tex-mex food lately, and I had a craving. I saw some gorgeous poblanos at Kroger, so I decided to make stuffed poblanos. Again, keeping it vegetarian, I stuffed them with a black beans and rice mixture. Since the poblanos and rice had a kick, I served a cool corn and avocado salad on the side. This dinner is very healthy and flavorful!


Black Beans and Rice Stuffed Poblanos
and
Creamy Corn and Avocado Salad

Poblanos:
4 poblanos, 3 sliced lengthwise and gutted, 1 diced
3/4 red onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 12 oz. can diced tomatoes (mine were chipotle lime flavored)
1 c. chicken stock
1 c. quick cooking rice
2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
Dash of hot sauce
Salt and pepper
1 can black beans, drained
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese

Corn Salad:
1 c. frozen corn kernels, defrosted but cold
1 avocado, diced
1/4 red onion, minced
1 tbsp. minced cilantro
1/4 jalapeno, minced
Juice of 1 lime
Salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 400.
Place 3 of the peppers in a baking dish, put in the oven while you prepare rice.
In a pot over medium heat, add 1 tbsp. EVOO, red onion, garlic, 1 diced poblano, salt and pepper. Saute vegetables for a few minutes, until slightly softened.
Add tomatoes, stock, spices, and bring to a boil.
Add rice, stir, bring back to a boil, cover, turn to low and simmer 15 minutes, or until rice is cooked.
Stir in black beans.
Take poblanos out of the oven, spoon beans and rice mixture into pepper cups, top with cheddar cheese, place back in the oven and cook for another 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and peppers are soft.

To make corn salad: Add corn, red onion, cilantro, jalapeno, lime juice, salt and pepper to a bowl. Mix well.
Add avocado, gently fold in avocado, do not break it up too much.
Keep chilled until serving.



A Year Ago:
This Argentinean dish is one of my favories of 2008 - Polenta Rellena con Jamon y Queso (Polenta with Ham and Cheese Filling)
And TWD Snickery Squares - these were also delicious!

13 comments:

cookingkatie said...

These look wonderful, I think I am going to try them Friday!!!

Joanne said...

This looks so great! It would cure any tex-mex craving for sure, without all of the excess calories.

ashley said...

yum! and poblanos are cheap right now! looks tasty!

Anonymous said...

This meal looks so delicious and satisfying!

Debbie said...

They look wonderful. I especially like the side dish of creamy corn and avocado..Yum!

Kelly said...

Looks delicious. I've been eating the same ingredients this week, only in different forms. :-) The avocado was part of a dressing for a chicken BLT salad and the black beans went into a sauce I am having with my lunch this afternoon. Great post as always.

Anonymous said...

oh man those look tasty!

Colleen said...

Ooh that corn and avocado salad is calling my name!

Michelle said...

It looks so good ,I cannot wait to try this.I am a vegetarian (have been for about 17 years.) I am so glad you offer so many veggie recipes. Thanks! Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

this looks delicious!! I love these types of flavors.

Lulu said...

I made the salad, and it was amazing!!! It went straight to the favorite meals pile! :)

Dgrub said...

Your black beans poblanos looks great. I need to give it a try. I have a recipe of black bean without any seasoning at http://desigrub.com/2010/03/glorious-black-beans/ > Let me know if you find it useful to make black beans from scratch.

Debbie said...

I finally made these for dinner last night! They turned out great and tasted wonderful, thanks! If you want to check it out: http://www.squirrelbakes.com/2010/06/stuffed-poblano-peppers-and-avocado.html