Saturday, March 21, 2009

Country Challenge: Iran


You might have noticed there haven't been many Country Challenge posts lately. I've been pretty uninspired lately by the cookbooks I've found in the library, until this weekend. I found a new book called "New Food of Life, Ancient Persian and Modern Iranian Cooking and Ceremonies" by Najmieh Batmanglij. This book is absolutely beautiful! It is packed with so many traditional recipes, and variations of traditional preparation of dishes. The photographs are great, something I especially look for in a cookbook!

What I especially love about the Iranian food is the amazing flavors and abundant ingredients. Some of the most common ingredients are prunes, apricots, raisins, pomegranates, rice, lamb, chicken, nuts, herbs, saffron, limes, cinnamon, spinach and squash.
As the week goes on, I'll be discussing the variations and traditions of the dishes I prepare.

No comments: