Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Vegetarian Reuben

So my attempt at cooking something for St. Patrick's Day began great. I made Irish Brown Soda Bread, and decided to make a Reuben. But then I didn't really want corned beef... I wanted to eat vegetarian. So I decided to sub in the new tofu I found at Trader Joe's, it's savory flavored, something I haven't tried before. I made the rest of the sandwich like a normal reuben (just lighter), but for my side... I went German... oops! I love red cabbage, I can't help it! It's cabbage though, right? Oh well, last year I did a whole week of real Irish food, so this year, I did one sad attempt, and it turned out to be...not so Irish, and sort of German. Oh well, Happy St. Patrick's Day :)


Vegetarian Reubens

1 loaf of Irish Brown Soda Bread, sliced thin (you need 4)
1 package of Savory Tofu
1 15 oz. can sauerkraut
2 tbsp. Light 1000 Island Dressing
1/4 c. Light Swiss Cheese
2 tbsp. Spicy Brown Mustard


Drain Sauerkraut.
Slice tofu and cheese.
Smear 2 pieces of bread with 1 tbsp. dressing and the other 2 pieces with 1 tbsp. mustard.
Preheat a nonstick skillet over medium heat.
Spray with nonstick spray.
Place 2 slices in skillet, dressing side up.
Top with tofu, sauerkraut, cheese, then top with other piece of bread, dressing/mustard side in.
Cover pan.
Cook for 5 minutes, flip, and cook the other side for 5 minutes.
Slice and serve.

A Year Ago: Real Irish Food!
Beef in Ale with Cheese Cobbler and Brown Bread Apple Cobbler

2 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

We love that tofu from TJs! Great idea using it in a sandwich :)

Joanne said...

I agree..cabbage is cabbage is cabbage (aka I think it still counts as Irish). I am not a fan of corned beef so I like that you vegetarian-ed it up. I've never tried that tofu fro TJ's, I'll have to give it a whirl.