Sunday, March 15, 2009

Gratin de Christophene

Like I said, when I found a Chayote (or Christophene or Chokos) squash, I was eager to find a recipe that would showcase the squash. I'd never had or prepared one before, and this recipe was simple and straightforward. I absolutely loved it! I love Gruyere, so when I read 1 c. of cheese, I went with it. The author doesn't specify, but the photo in the book shows a white cheese. I was a little nervous when it said to remove the core, but the small white pit just popped right out, so I'm going to assume that was the core! I definitely would love to prepare Chayote squash again, anyone have any recipes?


Gratin de Christophene
by Paula Lalbachan

4 Chayote squash
1 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. oil
2 onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 green onions
1 tbsp. chopped parsley
1 tbsp. flour
1/4 c. milk
1 c. Gruyere
1/2 c. breadcrumbs
Black peppers

Halve each squash. Remove the core. Place in a saucepan, add enough water to cover and 1 tsp. salt. Boil until tender, about 30 minutes.
Scoop out the flesh, place in a bowl and mash. Set shells in a baking dish.
Heat oil over medium heat, add onions and garlic. Saute until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
Add flour, stir to cook, add milk, stir for 1 minute.
Add the cheese and squash.
Stir well, spoon into squash cavities.
Top with breadcrumbs and pepper.
Place in a preheated 400 degree oven and bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown.

This recipe is from The Complete Caribbean Cookbook by Pamela Lalbachan.




A Year Ago: Irish week!
Brown Soda Bread (which I'm making again tomorrow!)
Murphy's Onion Soup
Bailey’s Shamrock Spritz Cookies
Chicken Cashel Blue and Boxty

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh, that looks good! Based on the way-too-many months I've spent doing field research in the Caribbean, I'm guessing the unidentified white cheese is the ubiquitous New Zealand white cheddar-- which seems to be the only kind they eat at all in Barbados, but I'm not sure about Puerto Rico. Christophene is also really good in place of zucchini or yellow squash in just about any recipe, or just steamed or boiled until tender. Thanks for the gratin idea!

Joanne said...

Mmmm I love puerto rican food, they seem to include all of veggies and grains that I LOVE. I've never had chayote either but have always been curious whenever I see it in the supermarket. Now I know what I will do with it next time it's available!