Monday, February 15, 2010

Toasted Ravioli with Marinara


I've never had a fried ravioli because I don't like fried foods. I love crisp, crunchy things, but not the grease that comes along with it. I often find myself trying to create 'oven-fried' recipes. I think these were a great attempt to get the crispness, however I should have flipped them to also toast the bottoms. I used store bought ravioli for ease, but homemade would make these even better, I'm sure. I did make a large batch of my favorite sauce for dipping though!

Toasted Ravioli with Zesty Marinara

1 bag of fresh or frozen ravioli (about 30)
1 tbsp. butter
1 tbsp. EVOO
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
2 cups zesty marinara (recipe below)

Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add a large handful of salt.
Drop in ravioli, cook for half the time the package directs (mine was 6 minutes, so I cooked for 3).
Preheat broiler to high.
Drain ravioli, add butter and EVOO to the pot, swirl around.
Add ravioli, toss in butter/EVOO to coat, add breadcrumbs and parmesan, toss gently to coat.
Line a cookie sheet with parchment, arrange ravioli in a single layer.
Sprinkle with more breadcrumbs or cheese, if necessary.
Broil for 3-5 minutes, keep the oven door cracked and watch carefully so they don't burn.
Arrange on a plate, serve with marinara.

Zesty Marinara:

1 tbsp. EVOO
1 yellow onion, minced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
Salt and Pepper
1 tsp. dried oregano
½ tsp. fennel seed
Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
½ c. dry red wine
2 28 oz. cans organic crushed tomatoes
1 15 oz. can organic tomato sauce
1 5 oz. can organic tomato paste


In a saucepot over medium low, add EVOO, onion and garlic.
Season with salt and pepper.
Sweat onions and garlic for 5 minutes.
Turn heat to high, add red wine, reduce by half, turn to low, add spices and tomatoes.
Cover and simmer for at least 30 minutes.

6 comments:

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

I'm right with you, I would never make fried ravioli because of all the grease. I will try these, they sound great!

Pam said...

OMG! My mouth is watering... that looks awesome! I may be a freak... but, I LOVE the black spots on food... if its got a chared spot-it's mine!

dining table said...

I am now craving for this one! My mouth is now watering and I am so excited to make this one.

nom. nom. nom. said...

Oh YUM!! These look so amazing, I love the idea of toasting the ravioli and not frying.

Joanne said...

I have ALWAYS wanted to try fried ravioli and but avoided it like the plague because I knew it would be addicting and I wouldn't be able to stop eating it. And the fact that it's fried. Glad to know you can oven-fry them!

Unknown said...

Your toasted ravioli descriptions are great! One of my favorite ravioli idea is mushroom and goat cheese stuffed ravioli with pistachio pesto and thee link is described at http://desigrub.com/2010/02/eat-delicious-food-day/