Friday, February 26, 2010

Mocha Cupcakes


There are some baked goods that Iwill try many different recipes for to see what might be better, like Chocolate Chip Cookies, Oatmeal Cookies, Blueberry Muffins, and Fudgy Brownies. Then, there are times when I'll find a recipe that is perfect. The results are prefect, and I take on the "if it's not broke, don't fix it" mentality. This recipe is one of those. I have never had a bad batch of these cupcakes come out. Anytime someone requests chocolate cake, I immediately turn to this recipe. However, that also means I don't have anything new to try and blog about. So I decided to keep my favorite recipe, but manipulate it a tiny bit.
I promised my co-workers cupcakes on Valentine's Day, but then had some things come up and was unable to make them. I promised though, that I'd make them the next Friday.
When I decided to make this recipe, I decided to just add two small changes, rather than add boiling water, I added 1 cup of freshly brewed, rich and dark coffee. I also used 1 tsp. vanilla extract and 1 tsp. almond, because I love almond paired with chocolate. It was just two small changes, but added a great flavor to these cupcakes.


2 cups sugar
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup Hersheys Cocoa
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
1 cup fresh brewed hot coffee

Directions:
Heat oven to 350°F.
Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil, almond extract and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in coffee (batter will be thin).
Line muffin cups (2-1/2 inches in diameter) with paper bake cups.
Fill cups 2/3 full with batter.
Bake 22 to 25 minutes.


5 comments:

Sophie @ yumventures said...

I love coffee and chocolate together, these look great! What do you use to pipe your frosting, do you have a pastry bag?

Robyn said...

Yummmm. Your co-workers must love you.

Sneaker Teacher said...

Those look so good. I have the urge to bake now!

NKP said...

Lovely! I absolutely love coffee and chocolate together.

Joanne said...

Especially when baking for others it's just so tempting to go with what's tried and true. That way you know it will be enjoyed all around. I love your changes to this recipe though. (i am a coffee addict). I'm sure they were a big hit! (What number piping tip is that?)