Sunday, February 14, 2010

Symon Sundays: Salmon Poached in Court Boullion, Braised Endives with Citrus

This week's Chef Symon Sundays was hosted by Joanne of Eats Well With Others.
Please stop by her blog for the recipes!
To view everyone else's recipes, click on the link to each person's blog on the right side.

I chose to serve this salmon for a Valentine's Dinner party. My guests really enjoyed it! They said it had great flavor, but could have used a bit more salt. I didn't serve it with the endive, but with a different sauce. It flaked perfectly and was really easy to cook. When I poached it, I didn't strain the poaching liquid, I just let it simmer for an hour, then added the salmon right in. Not only was it easier, but I had hoped it would add more flavor to the salmon.
Chef Symon offers a few varaitions of the poaching liquid, but I went with his basic recipe.

My Salmon
The poaching liquid

I made the endive separately for lunch today. I thought the sauce had amazing flavor, and was delicious. I am a big fan of cooked greens and warmed salad type dishes, but the endive were a bit bitter. I added a some lemon zest along with the orange zest. I wish I had caramelized my endive more, perhaps that would have helped the biterness.

Here are everyone else's dishes:
Joanne


Gia


Meredith




Tasha

Natashya

3 comments:

NKP said...

Great round-up! I'll come back tomorrow to visit everyone one by one. Thanks again!

Joanne said...

Beautiful! I'm glad we felt the same way about the endives. I have a feeling the only solution would be to boil them. But I don't have the stamina to repeat it haha.

Tasha said...

I think not straining the poaching liquid was a great idea. Your platter of salmon looks great too!