Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Sesame Crusted Tofu Steaks with Kale


I know, I know, some people will find this dish absolutely repulsive (Kris, JJ you reading??) However, this meal was so full of flavor and texture, it was absolutely delicious. And it's just so healthy.
I know there are some people who will never convert to tofu, but for those of us who love it, this was delicious! It had a great, meaty soy flavor, which was highlighted by the smoky tahini and spices. Crunch from the sesame seeds balanced the soft inside of the tofu.
The kale was earthy and sweet and smokey, just how I love it. I wouldn't serve this meal to just anyone, but if you're a kale and tofu lover, it will be a hit.

Sesame Crusted Tofu Steaks with Stir Fried Kale

1 package of extra firm tofu
1 tbsp. tahini
1/2 tsp. Chinese 5 spice powder
1 tbsp. sesame seeds
1 large bunch of kale, stems removed and chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tbps. EVOO
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tbsp. honey
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp. corn starch

Remove tofu from package, drain and cut in half.
Wrap each steak in a tea towel, and place under a dutch oven or something heavy to press out excess liquid for about 15 minutes.
Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
Line a cookie sheet with foil, spray with nonstick cooking spray.
Place tofu steaks on cookie sheet.
Smear with tahini, sprinkle with 5 spice powder, and top with sesame seeds.
Bake for 20 minutes, until seeds are toasted and tofu is firm and browned on the bottom.

While the tofu roasts, prepare the kale.
In a small dish, whisk together soy sauce, honey, red pepper flakes and cornstarch.
Heat a large wok over medium heat.
Add EVOO and garlic, cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant.
Add kale, toss to wilt for 1 minute.
Add sauce, continue to toss and wilt kale.
When kale is cooked to desired doneness, plate.
Top with tofu steaks.
Serve with sriracha.

7 comments:

Sophie @ yumventures said...

Looks delicious! How did you make your husband go for it? =)

Ashlee said...

He didn't eat any! He's anti-tofu. He's tried it many times, so I give him credit, it's just not for him.

nom. nom. nom. said...

Tofu haters are crazy, it is one of my favorites!! This looks amazing, thanks for the recipe.

NKP said...

Looks good!
I made soup with tofu the other night. I am lucky that hubs likes it.. in moderation. :)
Lots of great flavours here!

Joanne said...

You don't have to convince ME! I adore tofu, and think I would especially love it with that crunchy sesame seed crust.

Allison Zick said...

I just made this recipe tonight and it was delicious! I also added some mushrooms to the kale and it was the perfect addition! Thanks for the recipe!

Sandra Irena said...

Made this last night and thought it was good! Although I think I used too much 5-spice. The crust was a little too 'powdery' for me....