Sunday, January 18, 2009

Strudel with Cottage Cheese Filling


In every cookbook I looked at, there were recipes for Strudel. There are so many types of fillings, and they all looked so good! I knew I had a roll oh phyllo in the freezer, and it had been there a while, so I figured I'd make a strudel. I took the healthiest looking recipe, and it ended up tasting great! It's a breakfast, often enjoyed with a good cup of coffee!

Strudel with Cottage Cheese Filling

½ package of Phyllo (1 wrapped roll)
6 tbsp. butter, melted
6 tbsp. powdered sugar
¼ c. raisins
½ c. warm water
1 egg
4 tbsp. sugar
16 oz. small curd cottage cheese (I used light)
8 oz. cream cheese, softened (I used light)
1 tsp. lemon peel
4 tbsp. farina


1. Prepare filling – Soak raisins in warm water in a small bowl for 10 minutes. Drain.
2. Mix egg yolk with sugar until smooth, add cottage cheese, cream cheese, raisins, lemon peel and 2 tbsp. farina. Mix well.
3. In a small bowl, whip egg white until peaks form. Fold into cottage cheese mixture.
4. Set aside to prepare rolls
5. Preheat oven to 350. Butter a 9x13 pan
6. Place a damp kitchen towel on the counter. Place 1 phyllo sheet over the towel. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Repeat with 2 sheets.
7. Place half the filling on the bottom, leaving 1” on each side.
8. Fold in the 2 sides and roll up. Place seam side down in pan. Brush with melted butter.
9. Continue with 3 more pieces of phyllo and remaining filling.
10. Bake for 25 minutes


**I ended up making 6 mini rolls because my phyllo was cracked in half and I couldn't form long rolls. The photo is of a mini roll sliced. I also used cooking spray and not butter in my layers.

1 comment:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

This looks great and cheese filling is my fave when it comes to strudels!