Monday, January 5, 2009

Latkes (Potato Pancakes)



Growing up in New York, I ate, and learned how to make, lots of Jewish food. One of my favorites that is both German and Jewish is a potato pancake. My mom made these often with applesauce on the side. When I decided to make Reuben Salads rather than sandwiches, I decided to make the latkes since I was going bread-less. I made this recipe up based on the many recipes I've seen and my mom's. They're all very similar, and super delicious!

Latkes

2 russet potatoes, peeled and grated with a box grater
1 small yellow onion, grated
2 large eggs, beaten
1/4 c. AP flour
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. fresh cracked black pepper
EVOO to fill 1/4" up the side of the skillet
Sour Cream or Applesauce for serving

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
Whisk eggs with milk, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
Grate potatoes in a colader, press and squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
Grate in onion, do not drain.
Add potato and onion mixture to egg mixture.
Stir to combine.
Add spoonfulls into skillet, brown on each side for about 3-4 minutes. Drain on paper towels and place on a baking sheet. Keep warm in the oven while preparing the rest.
I made 3 at a time, this recipe made about 6 latkes.

2 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

This looks great! I don't think I'm doing something right when I make latkes. They always get too oily and not crisp enough. Any ideas? I'm thinking my oil wasn't hot enough or maybe my potatoes were too wet? Do you have any latke secrets to getting them nice a crisp?

That Girl said...

You're totally missing the powdered sugar!

I'm about to make yet another batch (this will be the third batch) for a friend who missed out this Channukah.