Sunday, January 4, 2009

Black Bean and Roasted Pepper Enchiladas



This week was one of my co-workers birthdays, so I wanted to make her a dinner since they all went crazy over the lasagnas. It's hard to find meals that aren't a casserole, travel well, are healthy, and can even freeze well. One good one besides lasagna is enchiladas. I knew she liked spicy and healthy food, so I went with them. Well, again I figured if I'm making a tray for her, might as well double up and make some for us for dinner.
However, I've made chicken enchiladas for the blog before, and wasn't in the mood for chicken. I decided to make ours vegetarian, use some beans, and roasted peppers. It was spicy, delicious, gooey, warm and delicious. (The top photo shows some of the filling that oozed out so you can see what the insides looked like!

Black Bean and Roasted Pepper Enchiladas

5 whole wheat flour tortillas
2 1/2 c. enchilada sauce (I use this recipe, canned is fine)
1 15 oz. can organic black beans, drained and rinsed
1 small zucchini, sliced in half moons
2 poblanos, roasted, peeled and sliced
2 yellow bell peppers, roasted, peeled and sliced
1 red onion, sliced
Salt and Pepper
sprinkle of cayenne pepper
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese

Heat oven to 400 degrees.
Sautee zucchini and onions in a large skillet over mdium-high heat. Season with salt and pepper. Sweat veggies for 5 minutes. Add in peppers, beans, 1/2 c. enchilada sauce, and cayenne.
Pour half the remaining sauce in a casserole dish.
Lay out tortillas, spoon mixture into each. Place in baking dish.
Top with remaining sauce, followed by cheese.
Bake for 20 minutes, until browned and bubbly.
Top with sour cream.

4 comments:

Colleen said...

These look great - and perfect for healthy eating!

Kelly said...

I love that you gift food. I enjoyed seeing your lasagnas and this is another great recipe. Nice job. I thought of your blog the other day because I got world Vegetarian Classics from the library and there were so many recipes from unusual parts of the world. There is a recipe for macaroni baked in yogurt that I am thinking of trying.

That Girl said...

I always say that enchiladas are so easy to make vegetarian!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

This looks wonderful! Although I'm not a big fan of red peppers, I'm sure the sweetness of them really carry through in the dish!