Thursday, June 3, 2010

Mojito Cupcakes


Though I made a variety of cupcakes based on tropical and fruity drinks for my birthday, I'm not really a fan of the actual drinks. However, if I am opting for a fruity drink, it's going to be a mojito. They're tart from the lime, spicy from the mint, and a little sweet, but not in your face sweet. 
For these cupcakes, I started with a simple yellow cake base and added lime zest and juice. Then I made a rum and lime wash for soaking the cake, and finally topped it with a minty cream cheese icing. I think what really made these cupcakes taste so fresh and spot-on mojito was the fresh mint in the icing! I'll definitely be making these again.

Mojito Cupcakes

cupcakes:
2 sticks of butter, softened
2 c. sugar
3 eggs at room temperature
1/3 c. dark rum
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
Zest of 1 lime
Juice of 2 limes
Scant 1 c. buttermilk
3 cups AP flour

Preheat oven to 350*
Cream together butter and sugar over medium speed for 3-4 minutes.
Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition, scrape down sides if necessary.
Turn mixer on low speed, add rum, vanilla, salt, baking powder and soda.
Add lime juice and zest to a measuring cup, add buttermilk to reach 1 cup.
Alternately add flour and buttermilk-lime mixture, ending with flour.
Mix on low speed until batter just comes together and flour is absorbed.
Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners, add batter to fill cups 3/4 of the way.
Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick entered in the center comes out clean.
Cool for 10 minutes, then remove and cool on a rack.

Rum-Lime Wash:
1/4 c. dark rum
Juice of 1 lime

Mix together rum and lime juice, use a pastry brush and lighly apply to each cupcake top, ice immediately.

Mint Cream Cheese Frosting:
1 stick of unsalted butter, room temperature
1 8 oz. block of cream cheese, at room temperature
2 lbs. confectioners sugar 
1/4 cup mint leaves, minced
2 tsp. rum
1-4 tbsp. cream or milk

Cream together butter and cream cheese, add mint and rum.
On low speed, slowly add in confectioners sugar, if frosting gets too thick, add milk or cream 1 tbsp. at a time, but be sure to add all sugar.
Ice cupcakes immediately, or keep frosting refrigerated until using. 

7 comments:

Ashley said...

These sound delicious!

Natalie said...

Mojitos are my go-to drinks in the summer...I would LOVE a cupcake version since I'd rather eat my calories than drink them ;)

Cara said...

Mojitos are my very favorite drink, so I can't wait to try these!

Joanne said...

I had mojitos last weekend after not having had them for a while and god I love them. I had forgotten. I should so make these cupcakes. They're better for me than alcohol is, right.. :P

Sophie @ yumventures said...

The mint icing sounds amazing - so fresh for the summer!

Kim said...

These sound fantastic!! I might have to give these a shot for a 4th of July party!!

Devon said...

You know how I feel about mojitos :)