Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Curried Cous Cous


I've been craving a curry dish lately, but with the temperatures near 100*, I couldn't imagine enjoying a big bowl of warm veggies and rice. I decided to do a few searches for a curry salad, and see what came up. Of course there were a few curried chicken salads, but I wanted something grain and vegetable based. I was intrigued by this Ina Garten recipe, it was vegetarian, full of curry and other spices, sweet and savory and cold! 
I followed her recipe closely, however I did substitute Trader Joe's Harvest Grain Blend for the cous cous, which I think added great texture and a little extra dimension. I also chose to shred my carrots rather than dice, and omitted the parsley. I was going to add cilantro, but forgot until I began eating the dish! 
Ina suggests eating this at room temperature, but I enjoyed it chilled.

Curried Cous Cous
adapted from Ina Garten, 2 large dinner servings 

2/3 c. cous cous or TJ's Harvest Grain Blend
1 tsp. EVOO
1 1/3 c. water or vegetable stock
1/4 c. plain greek yogurt
1 tsp. Rice vinegar
1 tbsp. curry powder
Salt and pepper
2 medium carrots, peeled and shredded
1/4 c. dried cranberries
1/4 c. toasted, sliced almonds
2 scallions, thinly sliced
1/4 small red onion, minced
Chopped cilantro or parsley, if desired

Prepare cous cous according to package directions (For mine, I brought water to a boil, added grain blend and EVOO, turned to a simmer, covered and cooked for 10 minutes)
When all water is absorbed, cool cous cous, fluff with a fork and add to a large mixing bowl.
In a small dish, whisk together vinegar, curry and yogurt, pour over cous cous.
Gently toss to combine.
Add remaining ingredients, gently stir to combine.
Place in the refrigerator and chill for 2+ hours.
Taste and adjust seasonings before serving.

3 comments:

Joanne said...

Who knew Ina had this in her repertoire? i'm always craving curry but you're right, it's slightly too warm now. This is definitely an awesome solution.

Sophie @ yumventures said...

I'm loving cold salads recently! Curry is so great cold as well, though you're right, I've only had curried chicken salad.

Tasha said...

I've had a curried pasta salad before which was very similar in ingredients, but I love the idea of making it with couscous instead!