Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Farmer's Casserole, Mexican Style



From time to time, I have readers email me with questions, recommendations, and recipe suggestions. Recently, Leela emailed me the recipe for Farmer's Casserole, Mexican Style. She thought it sounded like something I would enjoy, and she was correct! This is an easy meal to assemble, and is like breakfast for dinner. I made a few changes from Leela's recipe because I wanted to add in more veggies to make this a one pan dinner. Also, I used Trader Joe's Soyrizo in place of chorizo, one of the only faux meat products I just can't quit! The dish has so much flavor, few ingredients, easy prep and clean up. Aside from the length of cooking time, it's a perfect weeknight meal (though while I waited for it to cook, I was able to do some chores around the house!)

Farmer's Casserole Mexican Style
from Leela

4 corn tortillas
1/2 c. shredded Monterey jack cheese (or any Mexican style cheese)
1 c. crumbled chorizo/soyrizo
2 scallions, sliced then (white and green parts)
1/2 c. chopped cilantro
1 4 oz. can diced green chiles
1/4 c. picked jalapenos
1 zucchini, halved and sliced
1 green bell pepper, finely diced
4 eggs (or 2 eggs and 4 whites)
1 cup milk (I used skim)
Salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 350*
Spray a baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Line the bottom with tortilla strips, criss-crossing them to leave no gaps.
Sprinkle the chorizo, green onions, chilies, cilantro, zucchini and peppers over the tortillas.
In a small dish, combine the eggs, milk, salt and pepper.
Pour over the casserole, sprinkle with cheese.
Bake for 40-45 minutes, until eggs are set.
*Because I added raw zucchini and peppers, the dish was a little wet, next time I might sauté the vegetables first to release a bit of the liquid. 

5 comments:

VegeCooking Club said...

Oh my gosh Chris would LOOOOVE this with the chorizo. YUM.

@JessEsco said...

This looks fabulous!

Jessica said...

This sounds delicious!

Joanne said...

This is almost like a breakfast-style Mexican lasagna! Gotta love it.

baby crib said...

This is really a very wonderful casserole! I just love it. I can't wait to try this one. Thanks.